Sunday Roast at Crust Gourmet Pizza Bar, Subiaco

Crust Gourmet Pizza Bar, an addition to Retail T6 complex at Subiaco
I was invited to attend my first ever blog related event 2 months ago by Crust Gourmet Pizza Bar marketing team. In conjunction with the opening of their first WA's shop, some of us were invited to attend an exclusive blogger masterclass at the Subiaco store. Joining me to the event was Karen from Karen Cheng's Fashion and life, Conor from Hold the Beef,  Lori from Musings of a Wannabe Gourmand and Devan from Bowl of Honey.
Clean and brightly lit pizza shop 
I used to work at a local suburban pizza shop as a delivery driver back in my uni days, a place where most client smells of bourbon and the shop was located at one dark corner of a dodgy suburb. However, I personally think their pizza was better than those international chain. Fast forward to 2010/2011, "gourmet" is the cool word to use and modern decor that plays with colours and lightings tends to attract more people, especially the yuppies.

Delivery car looking sharp! 
Crust Pizza seems to be heading on a right track. Apparently they are pretty well known over the eastern state for delivering high quality gourmet pizza. They believe that pizza shouldn't leave you feeling greasy, dirty and guilty, they focus on bringing restaurant quality gourmet pizza to your door step at an affordable price.

Fresh and clean ingredients 
I have worked in a pizza place before so I know what goes in your regular home delivery pizza! However, I was pretty amazed seeing the variety and quality of ingredients at Crust. It was looking fresh, clean and healthy.
Pizza making demo by international award-winning creative chef - Peter Augoustis 
As this was a pizza making master class for blogger, we were settled in with sparkling on one hand and finally to be able to put a face to a name of all these familiar bloggers. We were then being given a pizza making demo by their menu creator who flew all the way from Sydney - chef Peter Augoustis. As much as I like to look at his cute face, I did pay attention to all his little secret to a delicious crusty pizza, because we would have to team up and come up with a most inspiring pizza.

Chicago Deep Dish Vegetarian Antipasto
During his demonstration, he introduced us Crust's latest invention - the Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. It looked more like a quiche to me than a pizza, a unique 2.5" deep dish base smeared with olive tapenade as sauce, then layered with grilled eggplant, artichoke, red peppers and Australian feta.  He also stressed that each layering of ingredient affect the presentation and most importantly giving you the ultimate CRUSTY pizza experience. I hate doughy and soft pizza base, but Crust didn't disappoint me, they are called Crust for a reason.
Florentine Ricotta on Gluten Free Pizza Base 
I've never tried gluten free pizza before, because I am not a coeliac and I thought gluten free product might not be as good. Boy, I was so wrong in this regard. Texturally the gluten free pizza doesn't taste like normal pizza, it was more of a biscuit-y texture but softer. Peter said some customer ordered the gluten free bases just because they enjoy it. At the bottom layer of Florentine Ricotta pizza was spinach blended with ricotta and parmesan, top with Kalamata olives, Spanish onions, cherry tomatoes, feta and served with cracked pepper & sea salt.
Szechuan Chili Prawn
This one is my favourite of the lot, it was packed full of flavour with bursty spicy Szechuan seasoned prawn, fresh capsicum, chili, shallots and Bocconcini, garnished with snow pea sprouts and lemon on sweet chili sauce base.
Vegetarian Supreme on Wholemeal Pizza Base 
White Prosciutto (Roasted potatoes, prosciutto, gorgonzola & fresh rosemary on bechamel sauce
After chef Peter's demonstration, we were teamed up with the person sitting next to us to come up with the most inspiring pizza. We were given a long list of ingredient with up to 100 choices but were only given a few minutes to invent the pizza.

Spent 5 minutes amazed at the choices of ingredients they have! 
Following with much deliberation and ummhs, I came up with a pizza named Sunday Roast simply because I saw roasted pumpkin and roasted lamb within that last few seconds. 

Pizza in the making by nervous blogger 
We were then ushered to the pizza making bench, trying to make our new invention and at the same time, their staff were also making pizza for actual paying customer. With much camera flashes flashing towards us, the customer must be wondering who the hell we are! After putting everything on the pizza, it was passed on into the oven for cooking. 


While waiting for all the pizza to be cooked, we mingled around with wines and a cheese platter showcasing the cheeses they use at Crust.

Gorgonzola, ricotta, brie and parmesan
And here comes the final product

Karen & Devan's Street of Bangkok
Me & Carrie's Sunday Roast 
Conor  & Lori's Paella Pizza 
At last, the Paella Pizza got the most vote and I gotta admit it was quite good both taste and visual, with saffron aioli drizzled on top, it left yellow tinge on my fingertips.

What I like about Crust is their crusty pizza base and the variety in good quality ingredients. If you think eating pizza will make you fat and feeling guilty, I am sure at Crust you will be able to find one pizza that is suitable to your diet needs, they even have a selection of healthier option pizza that was awarded by the Heart Foundation Tick.

They also do delivery to Floreat, Wembley, Glendalough, West Perth, Kings Park, Daglish, Shenton Park, Jolimont and West Leederville. Do check out their website for more information. 


The bloggers 
Once again thank you Crust's marketing for giving me this opportunity, it was a fun night and it was great to finally meet some of the bloggers that I've been following. 


Opening Hours:
Monday - Thursday 12pm to 2:30pm 5pm to 10pm
Friday 12pm to 2:30pm 5pm to 11pm
Saturday & Sunday 5pm to 10pm


Crust Gourmet Pizza Bar
Retail T6, 502 Hay St
Subiaco, WA 6008

08 6363 0420
Crust Gourmet Pizza Bar on Urbanspoon

Comments

Mmmmmmm Sunday Roast was a damn fine pizza, even if the name made me think of bloody Nicole Kidman and her baby ;)

Lovely to meet you and I hope we cross paths again for more foodie adventures :)
Hi Conor,

How are you doing? I hope the new year is treating you well. I'm sure we will cross path again at some foodie event in the future!

As a matter of fact, everytime when I think of 'Sunday Roast', it actually made me think of Nicole Kidman's baby! LOL
Anonymous said…
Have always thought that Chicago pizzas would be heavy and greasy but this also looks amazing. i Love the freshnes Pizza Bar
Unknown said…
I hope you the coming year is going to treat you well.If you are looking for a good Gourmet Pizza Restaurant in Australia, this is the one you should try.In fact, it is one of the best Italian restaurants in Melbourne.
Unknown said…
I really appreciate this post. I’ve been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it and I love eating in a place like a Luxury Restaurant

Popular posts from this blog

Dao Vien Vietnamese

Self-heating can of latte?

Happy Mid Autumn Festival