Kai Japanese, Bull Creek

Finally I'm back in Perth just in time for the warmer weather, flowers blooming, music festival and events. Glad to be back, but was shocked to find out there were a few new restaurant sprung up during my 3 weeks holiday. And I'm in no delay in trying them out, also I will need to get groceries after flying-in if I were to cook for myself, a perfect excuse for dining out.

Kai, just beneath Bull Creek's Curry House. 
Kai Japanese was recommended by one of my foodie friend, but was being advised that there might be a queue. Situated beneath Bull Creek's Curry House, it's located at Parry Avenue's shopping square, next to The Cheesecake Shop.


There wasn't a queue when we got there, but we waited 10mins outside for a table. The shop were tiny, only 6 tables fitted tightly in a space smaller than a normal size bedroom. If you are uncomfortable dining at such a confine space, I recommend that you get takeaway from them, though menu choices for takeaway are limited.

Wide menu choice 
Recently, I'm on Ramen Hunt and I couldn't help myself for ordering Ramen especially after I found out they have Tonkotsu Ramen. They also have sushi, the usual rice dishes and bento boxes. However, majority of the people here were slurping Ramen away with a contented smile on their face.

Chicken Karaage Tonkotsu Ramen - $9.80
My bowl of Ramen were huge for the price I was paying! 3 pieces of Karaage chicken were swimming in the glistering pool of pork broth together with half a stock boiled egg, red jelly chinese mushroom and lots of scallions. The broth wasn't as salty as Arigataya and it wasn't as oily as Dosukoi, it has a natural sweet flavour from the pork bone marrow, and because it wasn't that salty, the broth was easier to drink til the very last bit of it.

pickled ginger were in the Ramen too! 
I wasn't sure if they make their own Ramen, but this one here is not bad either, my only gripe was that it went a bit soft because it was slightly overcooked. The stock boiled egg was cooked to perfection, with yolk til runny at the centre. However, my Karaage chicken were not crispy anymore after soaking in the broth for quite some time.

Chicken Karaage set with rice, miso soup and salad - $13
Chicken Karaage set came out with a bang, bang for the buck it is! The plate was filled up with marinated crispy chicken and tons of salad. I don't think you'll be able get such a big portion for only $13 elsewhere. Although the portion was huge, but we felt that the chicken can be crispier and the marinate needs more too, I guess dipping into the provided spicy mayo makes up for it! Oh, and did I mention the rice (good quality Japanese rice) were cooked to perfection.

Seafood Gyoza - $6.50
We ordered a serve of gyoza because we saw the gyoza at the table next to us were looking pretty, unfortunately ours came out looking horrible so was the taste and texture! It was burnt like charcoal and oily, it wasn't looking the same as the table next to us, what a disappointment. Perhaps, we should just stick to pork gyoza next time, or avoid gyoza from them.

I like to try their sushi next time and perhaps some other dishes too, I hope they will keep up with the huge portion they are serving right now and let's not increase the price hey. A pot of green tea was charged at $3 though!

The Good: Ramen and low price
The Bad: Gyoza
Service: Authentic Japanese friendly service

P/s: We took a peek at their kitchen, and the size of the kitchen is 2-3 times bigger than their dining area. The people working in the kitchen are Japanese too, that's always a good sign! :) 

Opening Hours:
Tues - Fri: 11am - 2:30pm; 5pm - 9pm
Sat & Sun: 5pm - 9pm only
Closed on Monday & Public Holiday

Kai Japanese 
Shop 4/110 Parry Ave,
Bull Creek.
(08) 9332 0388
Kai Japanese on Urbanspoon

Comments

I wish this place were closer to me, I would like to try their ramen!

And yes, you've picked the perfect time to come back to Perth :)
Jay said…
Ate at Kai a few days ago. Apparently they have changed management. I ate the sashimi and I've been bed ridden with gastroenteritis for 4 days. I won't be going back. I'm upset they should take more care when handling raw food.

Popular posts from this blog

Dao Vien Vietnamese

Self-heating can of latte?

Happy Mid Autumn Festival